Study Information about the Luke Series
Each week during our "Gospel According to Luke" Teaching Series, we will go through either half a chapter or a full chapter from the Gospel of Luke; it all depends on the chapter and what it covers. By encouraging our community to read and study through a whole book of the Bible (and to study it using trusted commentaries), our hope is to teach everyone how to "feed" themselves from the Scriptures. Like the Chinese proverb says:
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
...adapting that for what we are doing, it would be:
Give a man/woman a sermon and you feed him/her for a day. Teach a man/woman to study the Bible and you feed them for a lifetime.
- November 6 - November 12 Luke 19:28-20:47
- November 13 - November 19 Luke 21:1-38
- November 20 - November 26 Luke 22:1-38
- November 27- December 3 Luke 22:39-71
- December 4 - December 10 Luke 23:1-56
- December 11- December 17 Luke 24:1-35
- December 18 - December 24 Luke 24:35-52 & Luke 2:1-21
Studying Luke during the Week
Many of us are in small groups or Community Groups, so we can study Luke with others. For those who aren’t in a group, you can read on your own. Or read it through with a family member or friend. It always helps when you know you are going to be discussing what you read with someone else - it keeps you going in the reading!
Some key things that regular readers of Scripture generally do :
- T – Time: have a specific time to read each week; this gets you in a routine more easily.
- P – Place: a place to study/read. When you select a place to regularly read, it becomes more of a habit.
- P – Plan: have a specific plan of reading. In this case, we have a plan by reading through Luke.
- P- Personalize: personalize your Bible by underlining verses, writing notes in the margins, etc.
Each Sunday, we will share what Chapter and section of Luke we will be studying. We will then encourage everyone to read that section of Luke the following week - and to read the section from a Luke commentary that goes along with that weeks Scripture selection.
Studying Luke with you small group or Community Group:
- READ AHEAD: Try to do the reading in advance of when your group meets. Coming to the group having read and prepped will make the group all the more worth your while - you will have insight to bring to your group about you are learning. So you should come read up, prayed up and ready to be there to guide the discussion with insight gleaned from the commentaries. Your prep makes all the difference.
- ROTATE LEADING: We will be doing some shared leadership during this study, and this may be a great way to try out leading a group. If you want to lead the discussion one night (or more), your leader will rotate who takes the lead in the discussion each week. This means you are asked to do a little more work that week - you would give a short summary about something you learned from the book, and then lead the rest of the discussion.
- THE NOTEBOOK: We highly encourage everyone to get a notebook of some kind for this study. Each week in the notebook, you can record:
- What was one new thing I learned from this section of Scripture?
- What one question do I have from the reading?
- How does what I read apply to my life?
- What do others in my small group or life need prayer for this upcoming week?
Commentaries for the Luke Series
We have 3 commentaries we suggest for studying the Gospel of Luke. You can purchase these online or after any of our gatherings (for a discount)! We would suggest you get #1 for sure - the others are also excellent. If you can’t afford it, we will give you one - just let us know!
For each week, find the part of the commentary that corresponds with the Scripture we are going through. Read the commentary, underline things, mark your Bibles - we shall learn together as we go through this!