Shared Adventures has provided hundreds of life-enriching recreational and social activities for people with special needs.
Day on the Beach is a special day at Cowell's Beach, where people with special needs and volunteers team up to share a full day of kayaking, outrigger, canoeing, SCUBA diving, beach wheelchair rides, and life-changing memories. Day on the Beach has given participants and volunteers an unforgettable experience of breaking through barriers and seeing dreams become reality.
Generous volunteers lay down over 200 pieces of plywood on frames, creating a unique 5,700 square foot platform on the beach that enables those with mobility issues to travel over the sand with ease to all of our activities. We also offer beach wheel chair rides as an opportunity to explore the beach in a new way!
The event includes live music and entertainment, free food, a rock climbing wall, sandcastle building, and much more! Participants represent a diverse range of ages (4 to 83 years old), and come from across the state and even the country to attend.
Vintage Faith is rallying volunteers from our community to help make Day on the Beach happen!
- Friday July 15th:
- Volunteer shift times are 12-3pm or 3-6pm
- You could help building platforms- basic carpentry skills or working with tools needed
- You could help pick up canopies & other items in storage
- You could pick up strawberry flats in Watsonville
- Saturday July 16th (chose a 2 hour shift)
- 8-10 am, 10am- 12pm, 12-2 pm, 2-4pm, 4-6pm
- During you shift, some of the ways you might serve are:
- Event set up
- Escorting participants to activities
- Pushing beach chairs
- Play beach games with participants, help with sand castle building
- Parking crew
- tear down, etc
Questions? Email Shauna Scott - firstname.lastname@example.org