- About Us
- The Hub
- Contact Us
831 429 1058 x 210
Dan's current role with Vintage Faith Church is overseeing the Sunday gatherings and teaching as well as the missional aspects of the church. He also serves on the Vintage Faith Church Leadership Council. Dan's role also includes extending the mission of the church through writing and speaking. He is known to shop eBay in the wee hours of the morning for vintage shirts.
Dan was born and raised in north eastern New Jersey, and got his BS in Landscape Architecture from Colorado State University. Dan was a drummer in a rockabilly/punk band for many years and lived in London, England for a year playing in the band. After the band ended, Dan went to Israel and lived there for several months studying the Bible on his own to see whether Christianity was a valid faith, or simply the religion of American suburbia. Mainly all of his closest friends were not Christians, so he desired to be able to intelligently explain and know why Christianity was a faith which made sense. After Israel, he moved to Santa Cruz where he began attending Santa Cruz Bible Church and got very involved in various ministries at the church. Because he felt he wanted to dedicate all his time to serving in the church, he went to Multnomah Biblical Seminary in Portland, Oregon and graduated with a Graduate Certificate in Bible.
Upon returning to Santa Cruz after graduating from Multnomah Seminary, he became high school pastor at Santa Cruz Bible Church working with teenagers in what became a large youth ministry along with Josh Fox. After serving in high school ministry for 8 years as high school pastor, Dan (and Josh) felt the need for a worship gathering and ministry that reflected more of the values of the emerging culture and heart of emerging generations. So, they started the Sunday night "Graceland" worship services and ministry at Santa Cruz Bible Church. Graceland initially started as a college ministry, but because it connected with a broader age range became a "young adult" ministry and then eventually became alternative worship gatherings for all ages. After several years, Graceland eventually folded into Santa Cruz Bible Church, as the dream for launching a new church in Santa Cruz was formed. Dan was part of the leadership team that launched the first church plant of Santa Cruz Bible Church when Vintage Faith Church was birthed in February 2004. Dan's current role with Vintage Faith Church is primary teaching pastor and oversight of the missional aspects of the church. Dan has been married to Becky since 1990 and have two daughters, Katie and Claire and one day hope to have a poodle. Dan loves rockabilly and punk music, comic art and drives a 1966 Mustang that is slowly rusting. Dan is currently pursuing a doctorate degree (Doctor of Ministry) from George Fox Evangelical Seminary where he also serves as adjunct faculty mentor. Dan is the author of the books:
- Do You Like Jesus but Not the Church?: Exploring Uncomfortable Questions about Christianity and the Church (Zondervan, forthcoming) an apologetics book which addresses the ways people in our culture have misperceptions of how Christians treat issues such as religious pluralism, homosexuality,
fundamentalism and the Bible, the church and politics, and women in leadership
- Listening to the Beliefs of Emerging Churches (Zondervan, 2007) five different contributors share their varying theological beliefs and how they flesh them out in their lives and
- They Like Jesus but not the Church (Zondervan, 2007) which is a book for church leaders which reflects on how the church and Christians are coming across in our culture and addresses the perceptions that the church is judgmental, political, organized religion, homophobic, arrogant towards other religions and fundamentalist in how the Bible is used.
- Emerging Worship: Creating Worship Gatherings for New Generations (Zondervan, 2004) which takes a look at several churches who are rethinking how churches go about their worshiping on weekends in community. Forewords by David Crowder and Sally Morgenthaler.
- The Emerging Church: Vintage Christianity for New Generations
(Zondervan, 2003) which features commentary by Rick Warren, Brian McLaren, Howard Hendricks, Sally Morgenthaler, Chip Ingram and Mark Oestreicher.